Phase II : 1993-1998
The success of the first agreement led the governments of Canada and Quebec to renew their cooperation. Established under the title "St. Lawrence Vision 2000," the second agreement was also notable for the increase in the number of participating departments and ministries from five to ten.
St. Lawrence Vision 2000 encompassed seven components: biodiversity, agriculture, community involvement, decision making support, health, protection and restoration.
St. Lawrence Vision 2000 placed greater emphasis on the participation of the general public. It was within this framework that the Areas of Prime Concern committees were formed. Financial assistance was also made available to organizations seeking to pilot local protection and restoration projects under the auspices of the Community Interaction Program.
This second phase helped to encourage and harmonize the efforts of the largest possible cross section of stakeholders. The projects carried out under this plan are documented in the Five-Year Report 1993-1998.
Government of Canada
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canadian Heritage
- Environment Canada
- Federal Office of Regional Development (now Canada Economic Development)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Health Canada
Government of Quebec
- Ministère des Affaires municipales
- Ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation
- Ministère de l'Environnement et de la Faune
- Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux