The Committee on the Integrated Management of Dredging and Sediments
The Committee on the Integrated Management of Dredging and Sediments was established in 2011 at the start of Phase V of the St. Lawrence Action Plan. Its mandate is to work toward improving dredging management activities in Quebec to ensure adequate protection of ecosystems and public health, while enabling the development of navigation on the St. Lawrence River.
More specifically, the CIMDS’s mission is as follows:
- Advance scientific knowledge through applied research projects to support dredging management and restoration of contaminated sediment sites activities.
- Develop tools and guides that can be used by the various stakeholders involved in the planning, assessment, design, execution and follow-up of dredging work as well as contaminated sediment site restoration projects.
- Improve co-operation and the way in which federal and provincial environmental assessments are applied to projects.
- Improve public consultation and participation processes and methods.
- Promote co-operation among the various stakeholders involved in dredging and sediment management activities.